There are articles after articles explaining how it is so important for kids to develop certain skills at a very young age. One of the most important skills is- problem-solving. I call it the most important because an individual might stop using all sorts of academic or social skills but will keep on solving problems till their last day. If one master the art of solving problems with the limited resources we have, several things will feel easier for the kids.
Problem-solving Skills for Kids
Problem-solving for kids as a skill feels like something we learn eventually. It feels like an ‘on-the-job’ skill that all of us learn while going through life. But would we handle things differently if we were taught problem-solving at a young age? There are several ways in which you can help kids learn how to solve problems in different aspects of their lives. Let’s look into some interesting ways to teach kids coding problem solving:
- Let’s make mistakes – It is important for kids to make mistakes to learn what works for them and what doesn’t. Making mistakes encourages them to keep experimenting with their problems.
- Creative Play – Creativity encourages coding problem-solving skills. It helps kids look at a problem from different perspectives. This in turn encourages creativity with problem-solving.
- Proportional roadblocks – As a parent, you can build occasional reasonable roadblocks in their experience. This will help them solve problems for which they can ask for help while you are not taken aback by the problem.
- Provide potential solutions – When kids are trying to solve problems, you can try and show them potential solutions. These choices help them analyze the problem from different angles and come to a conclusion.
- Engage in Do-It-Yourself problem-solving – Help your kids engage in DIY projects which require them to solve problems. Some examples can be jigsaw puzzles, riddles, and more.
Some other ways can be cultivating a problem-solving rich culture at home, helping kids experience failures, teaching them basic problem-solving steps, and asking your kids for help regularly at home. These options will help them learn problem-solving for kids on a regular basis.
What are the benefits of using coding to teach problem-solving?
Coding has several benefits for kids and problem-solving is one of the best ones. Let’s look at how coding skills help kids learn coding problem solving.
- Planning – It takes a lot of planning to execute an idea with code. This planning helps kids to foresee problems that might come during a certain project or a time frame. The ability to foresee problems also helps them come up with solutions for these predictable problems.
- Decomposition – To write good code kids need to read instructions and learn several steps. The skill to compose their thoughts and put this information to work is what we call decomposition. This plays a very important role in learning problem-solving skills
- Testing – While making programs with code, kids need to test their code very frequently. This process is very similar to the stage of problem-solving where kids test their potential solution and see what worked. Testing their code enhances their problem-solving skills to a great extent.
- Debugging – Once they have tested a code, next comes debugging. This is a process where they try to solve all the ‘bugs’ or problems that the code has. This is direct problem-solving for kids.
- Finding help & Communication – While learning how to code, test, and debug, kids learn how to ask for help when needed. They learn how to communicate. A very important part of problem-solving is giving feedback and taking criticism every now and then.
All of these micro-skills help kids learn problem-solving in the bigger picture. This is how online coding classes for kids help kids develop several modern skills.
Get Started Learning with skoolofcode
At SkoolOfCode our expert programming tutors guide kids with learning problem-solving skills. They are approachable to ask for help while pushing kids out of their comfort zone. It is essential to put kids in challenging situations to help them build modern skills like problem-solving.
The major role of programming tutors at SkoolOfCode is
- Coding Skills – All the programming tutors are experts in computer science and help kids learn coding in the easiest way possible.
- Modern Skills – With the help of classroom interaction, our programming tutors help kids develop modern skills like problem-solving, communication, and more.
- Soft Skills – The tutors also direct kids to learn soft skills like communication, presentations, collaboration, and others.
Best Features of the Coding Classes at SkoolOfCode:
- Grade Appropriate Courses – All the coding courses at SkoolOfCode are grade-appropriate to help kids learn coding from scratch. To start with we introduce
- and then to move to higher levels of coding.
- Modern Technologies – Coding courses at SkoolOfCode focus on teaching the most modern technologies to our students. Technologies like python, scratch, game design, and more are a part of our various courses.
- Appropriate Class Strength – Features of the class like class strength, teacher-student ratio, and others are taken care of so that students are able to make the most out of their time at SkoolOfCode.
In this article we started with looking into creative ways to help kids learn problem-solving skills. We also saw how coding helps kids learn problem-solving skills with different processes. Later we focused on how crucial a programming tutor’s role is at SkoolofCode and how they help kids develop problem-solving skills. The instructors at SkoolofCode have years of expertise teaching computer programming online and hold degrees in computer science or engineering. So, why wait and Book a FREE trial class today. Towards the end, we also saw how the coding courses at SkoolofCode are conducive for kids to learn coding skills and other modern skills.